Sunday 19 October 2008

So, not much has changed. I still feel homesick almost 100% of the time. Every other exchange student is having a great time and has lots of friends at their school (minus the three at Rudbecksskolan, my school). I directly disobeyed the AFS head people and wrote to my friends when I felt like shit, but it really did help a lot. I thought I was going insane for a couple of days. I didn't want to talk to anyone, was uninspired to do anything really. It's discouraging to me when I feel that my existince has no purpose. I am simply being, in Sweden, consuming resources and not doing a whole lot else. Since I don't have affect on anyone's life I feel utterly useless. I was tired all the time from people speaking Swedish around me, which I feel gave me a somewhat otiose prescence and I can't imagine that being very nice for anyone else.

After I talked to a few people, who confirmed that my sanity was still together (even if it's only held by a few threads) I felt much better. I don't really know what else to say other than thanks, for right now. I am emotionally drained. I'm making a slow recovery.

On a lighter note, I really enjoyed my first football game. I wish people in the U.S. liked it more. It's something that unites the WHOLE world (minus US) and I think that the last World Cup was as, if not more exciting than most of the Olympic Games I've seen. It's really hypnotizing to watch. Watching the two teams fight for the first goal was like watching a mashup of an improvisaiotnal ballet and a war. On top of having a great time being really obnoxious and chanting in Swedish, there was something really artistic and beautiful about the way the players moved. Even though the score was 0 - 0, I still had an excellent time.

In about a week I'm going to London with my host sister (if AFS lets me go, which they are doing everything in their power to stop me right now), which I'm super excited about. I might get to go to the London Dungeon on Halloween! My only worry is my wallet, which I expect to take a severe beating on this trip.

1 comment:

Jackie Berry said...

whoopsies. posted comment on the wrong one XD was supposed to go here... sorry! heheh.