Monday 27 October 2008

Well, I think I may have finally made a breakthrough. This past Saturday was the first time I received a text message containing these lovely words; "Hej, vad ska gör du ikväll?" which translates to; Hey, what are you doing tonight? I tried to reply and my cell phone fucked up and saved the message as a draft instead of sending it, so I never actually met up with the person... but, after i realized the mistake, I talked to them the next day and everything was ay-OK. My main point is that it's really a truly exquisite feeling to have your prescence acknowledged and even appreciated. So it was a good weekend.

And even if that person hates me and it actually turns out that it was a joke (which i am confident it wasn't), I don't really care, because I am starting to feel comfortable with my new family. I had dinner with only the three of us the other night (Jan, Inga-Maj, and myself) and we were just chatting, and it felt almost like I was procrastinating my homework by watching the Daily Show in my living room in Albany with my real parents. Hm, that last sentence didn't really make sense. What I meant to say is; I can almost say that the realization of the fact that I'm in Sweden has almost hit me. Wait, that wasn't any better. Let's try this; I'm at a turning point in my trip and I haven't the slightest idea where my life is headed now. Hopefully for the best.

Also, I leave for London in about 6 hours!

I just finished reading the book Slaughterhouse-5 by kurt Vonnegut (I am so glad I enjoy reading again). For those of you who haven't read it. Read it! It's a rather strange book written with the mind concentration of a 5 year old on skittles, but it's really funny in some parts, and has some really cool ideas. It's a WWII book, but in part of it, the main character travels to an alien planet and meets some E.T.'s who see and communicate in the 4th dimension. They are very confused by the concept of time, because they see everything as one moment. This is how the past 3 months have felt for me. As I sit here in bed, I feel as though I am simultaneously standing on the porch of my cabin at Tuolumne with Ian, Jay, and EO, and while I'm talking to them I'm biking in Tilden with Will or chilling in my basment with Jake, or talking about food with Megan, or doing something that happened in the recent past. The sound of snapping fingers travels more slowly than all that has happened to me in the begining of this trip.

No comments: